The temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, is the joint that connects your lower jaw to the rest of your head. When this joint becomes stressed, injured or misaligned, it is known as a TMJ disorder, and it can cause significant discomfort as well as impacting your ability to perform functions like eating, speaking and yawning normally. TMJ disorders may occur for a number of reasons, including:
- Injury to the head, neck or jaw
- Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching)
- Arthritis in the jaw joint
You may have a TMJ disorder if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Grinding, clicking or popping sounds in the jaw when you open and close your mouth
- Locked or stuck jaw
- Pain when chewing and biting
- Muscle pain in the neck, shoulders or ears
- Frequent headaches
- An inability to open your mouth wide
When you visit our dentists, we will determine the cause of your TMJ in order to find the treatment that is right for your needs. Your treatment will depend on the cause and severity of your TMJ disorder and may include anything from jaw and facial relaxation exercises to lifestyle changes, restorative treatments, custom mouth guards or jaw surgery.
For more information about TMJ treatment in Modesto, California, call Allure Dental Care at 209-521-3400 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Surjit Chahal.